This Tasmania self-drive 7-day itinerary is what I like to call the ‘Tassie Whirlwind’.
It’s fast. It’s furious. It’s jam-packed full of things to see and do, and you’re going to have the time of your life!
This page contains affiliate links. If you book or buy something through one of these links, I may earn a small commission (at no extra cost to you!). Read my full disclosure policy here.
Self-drive Tasmania Itinerary (7 days)
Do you only have one week for your Tasmania itinerary?
Don’t listen to the nay-sayers… 7 days is all the time you need to get a taste of the Lap of Tasmania and have the road trip of your life!
At the same time, with 1 week in Tasmania it is important to realise that every minute counts.
I’ve lived in Tasmania for more than 15 years now, and with this Tasmania self-drive 7-day itinerary I will make sure your Tasmanian road trip is all killer, no filler
Fair warning, one week is the absolute minimum amount of time I recommend for a full Lap of Tasmania.
It’s a small island, but it is also jam-packed full of things to see and do.
This Tasmania self-drive 7-day itinerary takes you to Tassie’s Big 12 iconic natural wonders and historic sites, while also giving you the chance to taste the amazing food you’ll find around every corner.
Do you like to live life in the fast lane? Do you try to pack as much as possible into your holiday? Do you find the drive just as enjoyable as the destination?
If you answered ‘yes’, then this exciting ‘Tassie Whirlwind’ is the itinerary you’ve been looking for, showing you the best bits of Tasmania in 7 days!
2x Bonus 7-day Self-Drive Loop Itineraries
I also provide two bonus 7-day itinerary options – the East Coast Loop and West Coast Loop.
With less driving, and more time at each destination these itineraries are a fantastic alternative to the full Lap of Tasmania – and they give you the perfect reason to return to Tasmania for another road trip!
Day 1: Hobart to Strahan (via Mt Field)
5hr 15mins + Stops
Derwent Valley + West Coast
Breakfast – Pigeon Hole Cafe (Hobart)
- Explore New Norfolk – St Matthews church, Bush Inn and Drill Hall Emporium
- Salmon Ponds
- Russell Falls (Mt Field)
Lunch – Waterfalls Cafe and Gallery (souvenirs as well!)
- Wall in the Wilderness – OR – Lake St Clair
- Drive the ’99 Bends’ between Derwent Bridge and Queenstown
- Franklin River Nature Trail – OR – Nelson Falls Nature trail
- Iron Blow Lookout (Queenstown)
Dinner – View 42 (Strahan) – OR – Risby Cove (Strahan)
🥂 Special Offer!
Book the ‘Bed, Breakfast & Boat’ package with Harrison House B&B, and when you mention the Lap of Tasmania you will also receive your choice of either:
- FREE bottle of 9th Island Pinot Noir – OR –
- FREE glass of sparkling wine and a ‘Button Grass Brewery’ craft beer
Valid for direct bookings only.
Strahan is a small town with limited late night dining options – especially on a Sunday.
View 42 (all week), Hamers Bar & Bistro (all week), and Risby Cove (Wed-Sun) are your three best options, but make sure you arrive before 8:30pm. Regatta Point Tavern is also a good option, however they are only open from 6-8pm for dinner (all week).
For other venues around town try to arrive before 6:30pm.
Day 2: Strahan to Cradle Mountain
2 hours + Stops
West Coast + Cradle Coast
Breakfast – Your accommodation – OR – The Coffee Shack (Strahan)
- Macquarie Harbour Cruise (Promo Code: LAPOFTAS for 10% OFF) – OR – ‘River and Rainforest’ Wilderness Railway Tour
Lunch – Included in your cruise – OR – Risby Cove after the railway tour
- Zeehan – Spray Tunnel (if time allows)
- Vale of Belvoir Lookout
- Cradle Mountain Village – Explore short walks around the interpretation centre
- Peppers Lodge – Native animal spotlight tour
Dinner – Hellyers Restaurant (Cradle Mountain Wilderness Village) – OR – Tavern Bar and Bistro (Peppers Lodge)
Day 3: Cradle Mountain to Launceston (via Stanley and Sheffield)
5hr 40mins + Stops
Breakfast – Your accommodation – OR – Highland Restaurant (Peppers Cradle Mountain Lodge)
- Dove Lake loop walk
- Hellyer Gorge scenic drive
- The ‘Nut’ – Chairlift to the top of the ‘Nut and explore
Lunch – Touchwood
- Coastal drive through Burnie, Penguin and Devonport
- Anvers Chocolates (Latrobe)
- See the murals at Sheffield (if time permits)
- Ashgrove Cheese – OR – Christmas Hills Raspberry Farm – OR – Van Diemens Land Creamery
- Hagley – Hazelbrae Hazelnuts (enjoy a picnic in the beautiful orchard!)
- Drive through the historic towns of Deloraine, Westbury and Hadspen
Dinner – Stelo at Pierres (Launceston)
Day 3 is a big day. By staying in Sheffield or Devonport (instead of Launceston) you can have a bit more time in either Cradle Mountain or Stanley.
The only downside is that Day 4 will be a little bit longer, and you won’t stop in Launceston – pushing through to Bay of Fires instead.
Day 4: Launceston to Bay of Fires (via the Tamar Valley)
3hr 15mins + Stops
Tamar Valley + North East
Breakfast – Your accommodation – OR – Stillwater (Launceston)
- Launceston – Cataract Gorge
- Tamar Valley Wineries (after 11am) – Moores Hill, Small Wonder
Lunch – Pipers Brook Vineyard Cafe (Pipers Brook)
- Bridestowe Lavender Farm (allow an extra 40mins drive time)
- ‘Tin Dragon’ – See the historic towns of Branxholm, Derby and Weldborough
- Pyengana – Pyengana Dairy Farm Gate Cafe, St Columba Falls, Pub in the Paddock
- Mountain bikers will want at least half a day to ride the world-class trails of ‘Blue Derby’
Dinner – Meresta Eatery (Binalong Bay) – OR – Raida (St Helens) – OR – Naturaliste (St Helens)
🎉 Special Offer!
Use my LAPOFTAS code when booking your beach escape at Beaumaris Beach Guest House and receive 5% OFF all room rates!
Valid for direct bookings only, and not available in combination with other offers.
Day 5: Bay of Fires to Coles Bay (Freycinet)
1hr 40mins + Stops
Breakfast – Your accommodation – OR – Lifebuoy Cafe (St Helens)
- Explore the Bay of Fires beaches, dunes and coves north of Binalong Bay
- Four Mile Creek – Tastings at Ironhouse Brewery -OR – Apsley River Waterhole
- Bicheno – The Bicheno blowhole
Lunch – Lobster Shack (Bicheno)
- Freycinet Marine Farm
- Friendly Beaches
- Cape Tourville Lighthouse
Dinner – The Bay Restaurant (Freycinet Lodge – Coles Bay)
🌞 Special Offer - Freycinet Waters B&B
Mention the Lap of Tasmania when booking your cosy seaside retreat at Freycinet Waters B&B and receive:
- a FREE cooked breakfast
- and early check-in
Valid for direct bookings only.
Day 6: Coles Bay (Freycinet) to Port Arthur
3hrs + Stops
East Coast + Tasman Peninsula
Breakfast – Your accommodation – OR – Geographe Restaurant (Coles Bay)
- East Coast Wineries – Devil’s Corner, Spring Vale and Milton vineyards
- Swansea – Spiky Bridge
Lunch – Bangor Vineyard Shed (Dunalley)
- Pirate’s Bay Lookout
- Tessellated Pavement – OR – Officer’s Quarters Museum (Eaglehawk Neck)
- Tasman Arch / Devil’s Kitchen / Remarkable Cave
- Port Arthur Ghost Tour
Dinner – 1830 Restaurant and Bar (Port Arthur)
🌞 Special Offer - Storm Bay B&B
Use my LAPOFTAS code online, or mention the Lap of Tasmania when booking your relaxing escape at Storm Bay B&B on the beautiful Tasman Peninsula and receive:
- 10% OFF stays of 2-nights or longer
- a FREE cooked breakfast
- and early check-in from 2pm
Valid for direct bookings only. Some blockout dates may apply. Not applicable to tours booked through Storm Bay B&B.
🌞 Day Trip to Maria Island
For something truly special, if you have an extra day available why not consider a day trip to Maria Island?
This island is pure magic, getting you close to nature without the crowds. Wombats are everywhere, the walks are stunning, and there is plenty of history as well.
You will need to allow a full day, as you can’t drive onto the island.
If you are keen for DIY day trip, the ferry takes 30 minutes each way from Triabunna Wharf. Don’t forget to take a packed lunch as well, as there are no shops on the island.
Alternatively, let the wonderful crew at Maria Island Cruises take care of you as you enjoy a cruise/walk combo. Both of their tours provide the opportunity to spend time on the island exploring by foot, but you also get the choice of either a full circumnavigation of the island, or a cruise to the stunning Ile des Phoques. Use my LAPOFTAS code and receive 10% OFF your cruise!
Day 7: Port Arthur to Hobart (via Richmond)
1hr 30mins + Stops
Tasman Peninsula + Coal River Valley
Breakfast – Your accommodation – OR – Port Arthur General Store
Lunch – On the Bay (Port Arthur) – OR – Doo-Lishus (Eaglehawk Neck)
- Richmond Village – See St John’s Church, Richmond Bridge, historic Main Street, Richmond Gaol, and the Richmond Wine Wall
- Wicked Cheese
- Pooley Wines – OR – Coal River Farm
Dinner – Landscape Restaurant and Grill (Hobart)
- Camping – Discovery Parks Hobart – Promo Code: LAPOFTAS for 20% OFF
- Couples B&B (south side) – Waterview Gardens B&B (Margate)
- Couples B&B (east side) – Oceana B&B (Howrah)
- Budget (Families) – Bay Hotel Apartments (Hobart)
- Budget (Couples) – Alabama Hotel (Hobart)
- Budget (Historic) – Edinburgh Gallery (Hobart)
- Mid-Range – RACV/RACT Hotel Apartments (Hobart)
- Indulgence – MACq 01 (Hobart)
- Ultimate Luxury – MONA Pavilions (Hobart)
(Bonus) Tasmania Self-Drive 7-Day Itineraries
If you’ve only got one week in Tasmania and you don’t want your road trip to feel rushed, then you’ll love these two little loop itineraries.
Less driving. More sight-seeing!
East Coast Loop | Tasmania Itinerary (7 days)
This 7-day itinerary takes you along Tasmania’s beautiful East Coast, up to Launceston and then back down through Tasmania’s midlands and the historic towns of Campbell Town, Ross and Oatlands.
As with all my itineraries, you can drive it either clockwise or anti-clockwise and you also have the freedom of starting in either Hobart, Launceston or Devonport (with an additional 1hr).
Day 1: Hobart to Port Arthur
- See: Richmond Village | Eaglehawk Neck | Tessellated Pavement | Tasman Arch
- Eat: Coal Vallery Farm | Wicked Cheese | Bangor Vineyard Shed | 1830 Restaurant and Bar
- Stay: Storm Bay B&B
Day 2: Port Arthur to Freycinet
Day 3: Freycinet
Day 4: Freycinet to Bay of Fires
Day 5: Bay of Fires
Day 6: Bay of Fires to Launceston
- See: Pyengana Dairy Farm | Bridestowe Lavender Farm | Tamar Valley Wineries | Cataract Gorge
- Eat: Pyengana Farm Gate Cafe | Piper’s Brook Vineyard Cafe | Stelo at Pierres
- Stay: Change Overnight
Day 7: Launceston to Hobart
West Coast Loop | Tasmania Itinerary (7 days)
Day 1: Hobart to Strahan or Queenstown
Day 2: Strahan or Queenstown
Day 3: Strahan/Queenstown to Cradle Mountain
Day 4: Cradle Mountain
Day 5: Cradle Mountain to Stanley
- See: Hellyer Gorge | Table Cape | Boat Harbour Beach | Highfield House | The ‘Nut’
- Eat: Touchwood | Stanley Hotel and Bistro
- Stay: The Ark Stanley B&B (Stanley)
Day 6: Stanley to Launceston (via Devonport and Sheffield)
Day 7: Launceston to Hobart
- See: Josef Chromy Wines | Woolmers Estate | Brickendon Estate | Ross Female Factory | Callington Mill
- Eat: Stillwater | Ross Village Bakery | Feisty Hen Pantry | Imbibers | Shene Estate and Distillery
- Stay: MACq 01 Hotel
Plan your Tasmania road trip
I hope you have found my 7-day Tasmania road trip itinerary useful in planning your holiday!
To put it all together just takes 5 simple steps…
- Learn more about the Lap of Tasmania, the best time to visit and places to see
- Plan your road trip itinerary (right here!)
- Book your flight or ferry to Tasmania
- Book your hire car or campervan
- Book your accommodation
It’s that easy!
ps. If this is your first time visiting Tasmania, or you are a bit nervous about planning your road trip, then you will love my eBook – “How to Plan Your Tasmania Road Trip“. It takes you through the whole process in easy-to-follow steps and also includes a free Holiday Planner that you can use for Tasmania and any other holiday you take in the future!